Complete Cat and Dog Wellness Exam Care in Elkhorn, WI
Why does your pet need annual checkups? They age much faster than we do and often downplay pain and illness, appearing healthier than they really are. Since your pet’s environment might put them in contact with harmful diseases, their best protection includes yearly cat and dog wellness exam care in Elkhorn, WI, lab work, vaccinations, and parasite prevention.
Why Are Yearly Dog and Cat Exams Necessary?
A physical exam is the first step towards making sure your pet is healthy. This involves:
- Evaluating your pet from nose to tail, checking for weight gain/loss, abnormal heart rate, and unusual lumps or bumps
- Taking blood and fecal samples to check for infections and parasites
- Deworming if needed (common for puppies and kittens)
- Vaccinating your pet according to their individual needs
- Providing parasite prevention to keep infestations and diseases at bay
- Recommendations for your pet’s dental care
- Discussing your pet’s behavioral and nutritional needs
- Discussing their upcoming spay or neuter surgery (for puppies and kittens)
Since many changes can occur in just a year, examining your pet regularly reduces disease risks and allows us to immediately treat any issues we find.
Puppies and Kittens Need a Healthy Start
Once you adopt a puppy or kitten, it’s time to call your vet and schedule your pet’s first health check. These visits are extremely important because puppies and kittens are fragile and need plenty of care to prepare them for a long and healthy life. Pets often have intestinal parasites when they’re young, and these should be treated immediately to prevent future problems.
Did you recently welcome a new pet into the family?
Schedule their first exam with us.
Regular Checkups Help Pets Through Old Age
Pets become more prone to illness with old age. We might recommend twice-yearly checkups to keep a close eye on your pet, along with routine blood work and/or X-rays. Your pet can still enjoy life in their golden years with the right treatment plan and frequent wellness exams.
Pets Need Parasite Prevention
Parasites are a fact of life and impossible to avoid. Fleas, ticks, heartworms, roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms are the most common parasites we see, and some of them can make your pet very sick. However, your pet can overcome these pests with regular testing and prescribed parasite preventatives.
Ask about our prevention options by calling (262) 723-2644.
"I love Elkhorn Veterinary Clinic!!!! It is the very BEST!!!! Have been going there for many many years!!!!The whole place is like family!!! The awesome staff!!!! So caring, kind, compassionate, friendly and very knowledgeable and professional!!!"